Historic Carshalton

Historic Carshalton

Aside from the gallery there are plenty of other good reasons to visit Carshalton to make the most of your trip to the gallery.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All Saints Church
The parish church of All Saints overlooks Carshalton Ponds. A church has stood on this site since at least Norman times and probably much longer. The current church contains 12th century work but has been much extended over the centuries; most dramatically in 1891 when a new nave and north aisle were added.

Just outside the churchyard wall is a spring locally known as "Anne Boleyn's Well". It is popularly said to have received this name because it appeared when Anne Boleyn's horse kicked a stone and a spring of water appeared. Anne was probably riding to or from an assignation with her would-be lover King Henry VIII at the nearby home of Sir Nicholas Carew.

Another possible explanation is that the name is a corruption of "Boulogne". The Counts of Boulogne owned land here in the 12th century and there may have been a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Boulogne near the well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Carshalton House Water Tower
The water tower was built in the early 18th century primarily to house a water driven pump supplying water to Carshalton House (now St Philomena's School) and its gardens. It was planned as a multi-purpose building, however, and also contains an orangery, a saloon and a bathroom which retains original Delft tiles.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Greyhound Hotel and Swan Bar
The Greyhound Hotel has over 300 years of history as an inn and local sporting centre and has provided accommodation over the years for many travelers.

The Greyhound dates from at least 1700, and is a listed building, which also carries a local heritage plaque that states: "This public house was known as the Greyhound as early as 1700. It was a sporting centre and the venue where racehorses were inspected prior to competing on Banstead Downs. The old inn was rebuilt c1840, and a separate existing building, 'The Two Rooms' incorporated."

The Swan Bar is part of the original 18th Century coaching house, and has its own resident ghost of a traveler who, local legend has it, froze to death on the doorstep in the 1800's. There are any antique artifacts in the Swan Bar, including documentation of the first mention of The Greyhound in the London Journal Newspaper in 1723. The entrance to the Swan Bar has a mosaic of a greyhound set into the floor, which was uncovered during renovation in 1969. It is thought to be the work of Italian craftsmen over 200 years ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Little Holland House
Little Holland House in Carshalton Beeches was the home of the artist Frank Dickinson (1874–1961). Dickinson's Arts and Crafts style interior was influenced by John Ruskin and William Morris. The house contains many of his art works. It is now occasionally open to members of the public.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Honeywood House and Museum
Honeywood is a large and attractive house at the western end of Carshalton Ponds. At its earliest it dates from the 17th century but has been much extended and restored, particularly in the period 1896 to 1903. It now houses the London Borough of Sutton's Museum and has a local history collection, including objects that date back to the Bronze Age.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Orangery
The Orangery in The Square was built in the second half of the 18th century in Carshalton Park (the section of which between here and Ruskin Road has since been built over). It is now used for commercial office space.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Strawberry Lodge
Constructed in 1685, Strawberry Lodge is one of Carshalton's oldest buildings. It was built by Josias Dewye who was described in records at the time as a 'clothworker and citizen of London'. In the late 17th century Josias moved from Chilworth to Carshalton to run a Gunpowder Mill on the River Wandle and decided to make his home nearby at the lodge.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Parks
Carshalton has many green spaces with three main public parks of note. The present day Carshalton Park is much reduced from its original size but still offers features of historical significance. Grove Park, closest to the village, is the best example of a Victorian park in the Borough. Oaks Park is a large park landscaped in a naturalistic style, providing downland walks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Carshalton Lavender
Carshalton Lavender is a not-for-profit community project that manages 3 acres of lavender in Carshalton Beeches, Surrey. This area was once famous as “the lavender capital of the world”, and dedicated volunteers work to keep the heritage of local lavender alive for current and future generations. Every year the field is opened to the public at their annual harvest weekend in July. Find out more by visiting the projects website: www.carshaltonlavender.org
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Staying overnight
The Greyhound Hotel - Carshalton
http://www.greyhoundhotel.net/
-
The Duke's Head - Wallington
http://www.dukesheadsurrey.co.uk/
-
Hilton Croydon Hotel - A23 Purley Way
http://www.hilton.co.uk/croydon
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Images courtesy of creative commons license:
By Rodge500 (Own work)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -